|Real name:||Jebediah of Canaan|
|First Appearance:||Whiz Comics #2|
|Created by:|| C.C. Beck|
|Affiliations:|| Circle of Eternity|
Formerly Shazam's Squadron of Justice
|Abilities:|| Nearly-unlimited magic power|
|Portrayed by:||Nigel De Brulier|
The Wizard (formerly known as Shazam) is an ancient sorcerer and Captain Marvel's mentor. He is also the guardian of a mystical location known as the Rock of Eternity. Known as one of the most powerful magical beings of the DC Universe, Shazam has defended the worlds from the forces of evil since his youth. Eventually, Shazam grew old and prophesied that a new champion would take his place, a prophecy that would happen at the same time of his own death. In the modern age, Shazam found a worthy successor in the form of Billy Batson, who became Captain Marvel. The rise of Captain Marvel signaled Shazam's death. However, Shazam's spirit remains in the Rock of Eternity to guide Captain Marvel and his allies in their battle against crime and darkness.
9000 Years AgoEdit
When Shazam was a young boy, some 9000 years ago, he was chosen by six long-since forgotten gods to become their champion!
The six gods were:
These gods developed a magic code word formed from the first initial of their respective names. At one point, Vlarem is seduced by a demoness disguised as a beautiful woman, and the two of them conceive two half-demon offspring, Blaze and Satanus, much to the displeasure of the gods. Vlarem later creates the Rock of Eternity from two large rock formations--one from Heaven and one from Hell--to hold the "Three Faces of Evil", a dragon-like demon, captive.
6000 Years AgoEdit
Shazam spent the next 3000 years battling evil but he grew weary and needed to choose a successor. Because the gods that he had relied on for his power had been long forgotten, Shazam petitoned and chose gods, who would grant their powers to Shazam's successor. Shazam choose a worthy man named Teth-Adam. Adam merely had to speak Shazam's name and he was granted the powers of six Egyptian gods. But Adam's power soon corrupted him and he became less benevelant. Shazam renamed him, Black Adam but unable to strip him of his powers, Shazam banished Adam to the farthest star for his crimes. He also taught spells to the immortal Oggar, but gave him cloven hooves and made sure that he could only use a spell once when he discovered his evil intentions.
Shazam once again waited to find a new successor. Unwilling to make the same mistake twice, Shazam decided to bestow his powers on a boy, much like what had happened to him. Ages passed until Shazam discovered a boy worthy enough to be granted those mighty powers! Shazam choose young Billy Batson to receive the powers of six of the mightiest gods and mortals. When Billy Batson says the name "Shazam," he is transformed into an adult version of himself -- the world's mightiest mortal... Captain Marvel!
Although Shazam is killed--as prophesied--by a giant granite block falling upon him, Billy/Marvel can summon the ghost of Shazam for guidance by lighting a special wall sconce in Shazam's lair, the Rock of Eternity. More superheroes soon joined Marvel in carrying on the legacy of Shazam, including Marvel Family members Mary Marvel, Captain Marvel, Jr., and the Lieutenant Marvels.
Billy had many adventures as Captain Marvel, including battling against Black Adam and Oggar, but was eventually trapped by the evil Dr. Sivana in a sphere of Suspendium. This Suspendium trapped Captain Marvel, his frieds, and the evil Sivanas in suspended animation for twenty years!
Shazam waited patiently for the Suspendium to wear off, so that Captain Marvel could regain his title as the champion of the world. It was revealed at this time that Shazam and the Marvels lived in a parellel universe to Superman, Batman and the other Earth-One heroes. Captain Marvel's original earth was referred to as Earth-S.
A cataclysmic multi-universal crisis occured which merged the earths of Superman with Captain Marvel's and other heroes. It was during this time that Shazam and the Marvel's history was in flux. For a short time, while the newly formed universe was trying to realign itself, Billy Batson had a different set of parents, Shazam himself has a bit less caring and "Uncle" Dudley became Billy's real uncle!
This flux soon corrected itself and Shazam and his origin became similar to his pre-Crisis one. Shazam took up residence on the Rock of Eternity (a temporal spot in space/time) where he records the adventures of the Marvel Family.
Shazam has regained corporal form and for a brief time lived with Billy Batson so he he could regain an understanding of humanity. Sometime later Shazam gained godhood and joined Zeus, Ganthet, Highfather and the Phantom Stranger, and to form the Quintessence -- a group of all powerful beings who kept tabs on the order of the universe. It seems that Shazam has gone back to the Rock of Eternity and still watches over his charges.
Day of VenganceEdit
Shazam called upon the Spectre to free Superman from being controlled by the demon Eclipso. This action broke a covenant between Eclipso and the Spectre, and set Eclipso permanently at odds against the wizard. Possessing the body of the Atom's ex-wife Jean Loring, Eclipso corrupted the confused Spectre into joining forces with her, and began a war against all magic-powered beings in the DC Universe.
Because of his previous action, Shazam was one of the duo's primary targets. In the Day of Vengeance miniseries, Shazam enlisted Captain Marvel to keep the Spectre at bay, while the wizard gathered all of his power to battle him. With the assistance of the newly-formed Shadowpact, a band of magic-based heroes, Marvel fought the Spectre nearly to a standstill, but the Spectre escaped and made his way to the Rock of Eternity to confront Shazam directly. The Spectre overpowered the wizard, absorbed his magicks, and killed him; and the Rock of Eternity disintegrated above Gotham City into "a billion pieces" and exploded, freeing the Seven Deadly Sins and sending a de-powered Billy Batson falling into the city.
Billy found he was still able to transform into the Captain before he struck the ground by saying the wizard's name as usual. After having his spirit dispersed, Batson had advanced to the wizard's position as Keeper of the Rock of Eternity. But after Batson's advancement, Black Adam along with his resurrected wife Isis was able to take control of the Rock for their own power. It was revealed that the Wizard's spirit form was not completely destroyed by Spectre, but sealed away in the sepereate Rock of Finality. With the help of Jay Garrick, the Wizard's spirit was released from the Rock of Finality. Seeing Batson support his sister who had been corrupted and both becoming a "Black Marvel", the wizard's spirit stripped both Billy and Mary of their powers saying they "had failed him".
The Wizard said that as Freddy Freeman's current "Captain Marvel" powers come directly from the six gods and not under the wizard's control, Freeman "would be dealt with". (Justice Society Vol 3 #25) It remains to be seen what the wizard meant by that statement against Freeman and his role as the six gods' champion.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- The Wizard Shazam has many superhuman powers and abilities as the result of his magical skills as well as powers bestowed to him as the representative of the various "gods" whose powers the Wizard gives to certain representatives of those gods as their champion as in the cases of Black Adam and Batson.
- Some of the more notable powers that the Wizard Shazam possesses are:
V for the Strength of Voldar: Shazam has incredible amounts of super strength, able to easily bend steel, punch through walls and lift massive objects. Shazam's strength is enough that he can probably fight against beings such as Superman or Wonder Woman to a standstill.
- Superhuman Strength
L for the Wisdom of Lumiun: As The Champion, Shazam has instant access to a vast amount of scholarly knowledge. The wisdom of Lumiun also gives Shazam clairvoyance and provides him with counsel and advice in times of need. He has knowledge of all languages, ancient and modern, and could hypnotize people as well, through this power.
- Superhuman Knowledge
A for the Speed of Arel: By channeling Arel's speed, Shazam can fly and move at supersonic speeds and, in space, supersolar speeds.
- Supersonic Speed
R for the Power of Ribalvei: Ribalvei' power, besides fueling the magic thunderbolt that transforms Shazam, also enhances Shazam's other physical abilities, provides physical invulnerability and resistance against most magic spells and attacks, and allows for interdimensional travel. Shazam can use the lightning bolt as a weapon by dodging it and allowing it to strike an opponent or target. The magical lightning has many uses, including creating apparatus, restoring damage done to Shazam, or acting as fuel for magical spells.
- Magical Resistance
- Physical Enhancement
- Interdimensional Travel
- Spell Source
- Advanced Healing
E for the Courage of Elbiam: Like the wisdom, this aspect is primarily psychological, and gives Shazam superhuman amounts of inner strength from which to draw.
- Superhuman Inner Strength
M for the Stamina of Marzosh: Using Marzosh' endurance, Shazam can withstand and survive most types of extreme physical assaults. Additionally, he does not need to eat, sleep, or breath.
- Superhuman Endurance
Keeper of the Rock of Eternity: As the Guardian of the Rock of Eternity he is one with the Rock as it is apart of him. He channels the energies of the primal God-wave and the Greek Lords of Magic through the Rock of Eternity. As such he is infused with the duty to keep the power and the magic of the earth realm in balance. As keeper of the Rock of Eternity he also holds the dark forces at bay.
- Inherent Omnipresence: apparently possessing the power to be everywhere, at all times (i.e. multiple dimensions and places in time.
- Inherent Omniscience: apparently possessing the power to know anything that he chooses to know and can be known .
- Telepathy: ability to read the minds of others and project thoughts.
- Sorcery: Nigh-omnipotent mastery of magics and mysticism.
- Genius-Level Intellect: Knowledgeable about basically everything.
- Bound to the Rock of Eternity though the Wizard's spirit can leave the Rock of Eternity for short periods of time. It should be noted that the Wizard gets weaker the longer he is away from it.
In Other MediaEdit
- Shazam appears in The Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam! voiced by Alan Oppenheimer.
- Shazam appears in the Batman: The Brave and the Bold episode "The Power of Shazam" voiced by Jim Piddock. Doctor Sivana brings Black Adam out of his exile in a plot to steal Shazam's powers. Batman and Billy Batson visit his shrine to get answers about Black Marvel. Shazam reveals his history with him and Black Marvel and how he banished him to the furthest star. Just then, Black Adam and the Sivana Family arrived as Black Adam comes for revenge where Doctor Sivana reveals to Black Adam that Shazam resides in the Rock of Eternity. When confronting Shazam at the Rock of Eternity, Black Adam ended up fighting Shazam as Doctor Sivana sits on Shazam's throne double-crossing Black Adam. After Doctor Sivana is defeated, Black Adam disappears with Shazam fearing his return.
- Shazam appears in the 1941 film serial Adventures of Captain Marvel portrayed by Nigel De Brulier.
- Shazam appears in an animated short film entitled Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam (released on the DC Showcase Original Shorts Collection DVD compilation as part of the DC Universe Animated Original Movies) with Academy Award-nominated veteran screen legend James Garner voicing Shazam.
- Shazam appears in the Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe video game voiced by Joe J. Thomas. After Captain Marvel fended off Raiden, the presence of Shazam appears and tells him that Dark Kahn is behind the world merge crisis and that Darkseid's essence has merged with evil magic from the other world. Shazam then tells Captain Marvel to help defeat Dark Kahn by gathering an "army of both dark and light" to fight him before the world merge is complete enough for the Kombat Rage to consume every living being on both worlds. In Superman's ending, Superman seeks the aide of Shazam to help him prepare for any protection against any future magical threats where they used ancient Kryptonian Lore to the creation of a new costume giving Superman an immunity to magic. In Captain Marvel's ending, Captain Marvel was guided by Shazam through a focusing ritual in order to regain control of his powers.
- Shazam appears in DC Universe Online.
- The Wizard Shazam no longer has an actual physical body and exists only in spirit form. While he can temporarily create a physical body that creation can only be maintained for a short period of time before it fades and leaves him back in his native non-physical form.